Parent FAQs

The Arch and Historical Marker

How are incidents reported to the Office of Student Conduct?
The Office of Student Conduct receives complaints, copies of UGA and ACC police reports, and referrals from individuals and University departments.

My student received a letter.  What happens next? 
Any student who is contacted by the Office of Student Conduct is expected to schedule an appointment with their specified administrative officer by the deadline date given in the initial contact letter. During the meeting, the administrative officer will review the Code of Conduct and the conduct process with the student. The student will have the opportunity to review the information in the conduct file and share any additional information with the administrative officer. If the administrative officer finds there is enough information to move forward with the case, the student has the option of resolving through the informal or formal resolution process. Detailed information about the conduct process can be found in the Code of Conduct. 

My student has been alleged to have violated the Code of Conduct, what can I do to help?
Encourage your student to review the Code of Conduct and schedule a meeting with his/her assigned administrative officer as soon as possible, remind your student to be respectful of the conduct process, and support your student throughout the process.  

Are you going to tell me if my student receives a letter?  Will I be notified? 
The Office of Student Conduct sends all correspondence via email to the student’s UGA email account, and in some circumstances to the preferred address designated in the Athena registration and data system. Parents or guardians are only notified when a student is found to have violated Code of Conduct regulations related to alcohol or other drugs when he/she is under the age of 21.  

Will you talk to me about my student’s case?
Unfortunately, we cannot talk to you about your student’s case unless we receive written permission from the student based on the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Once we have written permission, we welcome any questions and/or concerns parents or guardians have regarding their student’s case. 

My student has a meeting with the Office of Student Conduct, can I attend? 
In order to attend, we must receive permission from your student.  If your student would like for you to attend, you are more than welcome.

My student has a lawyer for the courts; can they attend the students meeting? 
In order to attend, we must receive permission from your student.  If your student would like for a lawyer to attend, the lawyer is more than welcome.

What is the difference between an informal resolution and a formal hearing resolution?  
An informal resolution occurs when the student or student organization takes responsibility for the alleged violations and agrees to the sanctions proposed by the administrative officer.  A formal resolution (investigation and hearing) occurs when the student or student organization disputes the alleged violations and/or proposed sanctions and wants to have the alleged violations decided by a hearing panel.

I received a parental notification.  What does that mean? 
It means that your student was found to have violated Code of Conduct regulations related to alcohol or other drugs while under the age of 21.

What are common sanctions? 
Sanctions are assigned at the discretion of the hearing panel or administrative officer. Examples of sanctions outlined in the Code of Conduct include probation, reprimand, restitution, community service, housing restrictions, educational sanctions, alcohol/drug education, suspension and expulsion. This list is not exhaustive, and sanctions are assigned to meet the specific circumstances of a given situation. For any violations of Regulation 4 (alcohol or drug related misconduct), minimum sanctions will apply. Minimum sanctions for these cases can be found on page 16 of the Code of Conduct.

What is the purpose of sanctions?
Sanctions proposed by Office of Student Conduct staff are intedended to be educational and to help your student learn from the incident.

My student was suspended;  what does that mean? 
This means that you student is no longer a member of the University community for a specified period of time and will not be able to participate in or attend classes.  Other restrictions may apply during a suspension period. For more information about other offices that your student may need to contact, please visit the "Suspension Information" link located at:

My student was suspended; what does my student have to do before returning to the university? 
Your student needs to contact the Office of Student Conduct to schedule a meeting with a designated conduct officer to discuss returning as well as the completion of any required sanctions.

Will anything be noted on my student’s record?
Any violation of the Code of Conduct is noted on the student’s conduct record. The conduct record is a separate record from the academic record; violations are not noted on a student’s transcript or diploma. However, many graduate or professional schools and some employers may request a copy of the conduct record. In the case of expulsion, a notation may be made on the student’s transcript at the request of the Office of Student Conduct.

My student's court case was dismissed; can my student's record be cleared in the Office of Student Conduct? 
No.  The University’s conduct process is educational, remedial, and administrative in nature and is separate from the court system.

Contact Information

(P) 706-542-1131
(F) 706-542-8817

247 Memorial Hall
Athens, Georgia 30602-3115

Monday - Friday
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.

The Office of Student Conduct is located on the 2nd floor of Memorial Hall. It is the white building located next to Sanford Stadium. When visiting our office, check in at room 247 located in the hallway between the Hooper Street and Reed Alley entrances to Memorial Hall. 


Report a Potential Conduct Violation
Individuals interested in submitting a report of potential Code of Conduct regulation violations should do so in writing. Reports not submitted in writing will be independently verified prior to beginning a conduct investigation. Reports should be submitted as soon as possible after the alleged violation. For individuals filing a report, a meeting can be arranged with a staff member in the Office of Student Conduct to discuss the conduct process. Reports should be submitted to Rebecca Scarbro, Associate Director for Student Conduct, by calling 706-542-1131 or emailing